Jerry

Jerry
Jerry Lynn Myers

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weinee Man

     "Pop Pop, sing it again."

          "I know a weinee man
           He has a weinee stand
           He sells most anything from hot dogs on down
           Oh baby.
           Someday I'll change his life
           I'll be his weinee wife
           Hot dog! I love that weinee man!"

     We learned that song from one of Sam's "Wee Sing" CD's of silly kid songs.  I don't know why Jerry latched onto that song.  Short and funny?  Easy to memorize?  Whatever it was, it stuck. He sang it to the grandkids.  He sang it to them over the phone.  We sang it in the car going from their house to Chris and Renee's wedding.  He sang it to the last class of 6th graders he taught when they had "pig in a blanket" for breakfast.  So when we were organizing Jerry's farewell celebration (known to others as a funeral), I knew the kids had to sing the song for him.
     Have you ever ridden in the family limo going to a funeral?  I have.  Lots.  Usually it's so sad and not fun.  Well, I wanted a celebration, not a funeral.  So I got all six of the grandkids (Baby Lila didn't get included.  Sorry Lila.) and Sam in that limo with me.  We had fun.  We practiced the weinee man song, took pictures, talked about Pop Pop and passed out roses to give to Pop Pop.  We honored our Dad, our Pop Pop, my love, during that ride by singing his silly song.  We sang out clear and proud in the chapel, singing to him and for him.  We love you sweetheart.  Now I have to go and call the grandkids and sing a song with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment